[ros-users] Simulation Goal

John Hsu johnhsu at willowgarage.com
Thu Aug 5 16:37:40 UTC 2010

After reviewing the tutorials, you can start by building the urdf, e.g. make
a copy of pr2_description/robots/pr2.urdf.xacro, and strip out anything
other than the base, e.g.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<robot xmlns:sensor="
http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#sensor"
       xmlns:controller="
http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#controller"
       xmlns:interface="
http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#interface"
       xmlns:xacro="
http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#interface"
       name="pr2" >

  <!-- The following included files set up definitions of parts of the robot
body -->
  <!-- misc common stuff? -->
  <include filename="$(find pr2_description)/urdf/common.xacro" />
  <!-- PR2 base -->
  <include filename="$(find pr2_description)/urdf/base_v0/base.urdf.xacro"
/>
  <!-- generic simulator_gazebo plugins for starting mechanism control, ros
time, ros battery -->
  <include filename="$(find pr2_description)/gazebo/gazebo.urdf.xacro" />

  <!-- materials for visualization -->
  <include filename="$(find pr2_description)/urdf/materials.urdf.xacro" />

  <!-- Now we can start using the macros included above to define the actual
PR2 -->

  <!-- The first use of a macro.  This one was defined in base.urdf.xacro
above.
       A macro like this will expand to a set of link and joint definitions,
and to additional
       Gazebo-related extensions (sensor plugins, etc).  The macro takes an
argument, name,
       that equals "base", and uses it to generate names for its component
links and joints
       (e.g., base_link).  The included origin block is also an argument to
the macro.  By convention,
       the origin block defines where the component is w.r.t its parent (in
this case the parent
       is the world frame). For more, see http://www.ros.org/wiki/xacro -->
  <xacro:pr2_base_v0 name="base"/>

</robot>

Then you probably want to mimic pr2_gazebo/pr2.launch to bring up the above
urdf xacro and remove any ros node that is not PR2 base-specific.
hope this helps,
John