[ros-users] Collisions Outside the Bounding Box (planning_environment)

Sachin Chitta sachinc at willowgarage.com
Fri Aug 6 20:52:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 1:26 PM, David Lu!! <davidvlu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (1) This is difficult to debug without more information. One thing you
>> could do is display the pose of the robot corresponding to the last
>> collision in rviz. This tutorial -
>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/motion_planning_environment/Tutorials/Tutorial%20B
>> - helps you do that.
>>
> I've been running off
> of http://www.ros.org/wiki/motion_planning_environment/Tutorials/Tutorial%20A,
> except with my own robot and no laser data, so I know exactly what pose the
> collisions are happening in.

True, but the pose that the planning_environment is checking
collisions for might not represent the one you are sending in. Doing
this will show you where the collision environment thinks the robot is
- if there's a potential bug here we might catch it this way.

Can you send me a snapshot in rviz with collision display enabled. It
looks like (from the marker message), PIECE1 is colliding with PIECE2
in BASE_FRAME. Where is BASE_FRAME defined with respect to PIECE1 and
PIECE2 - maybe send me a urdf as well?

Sachin

>> (2) Also, using the rviz "select" button, you can click on the markers
>> and they will give you more information on what is colliding.
>>
> Good to know.
>

>> (3) Are you moving the base of the robot around? We are working
>> towards a release that handles motion of the robot base properly - the
>> current collision environment is not yet fully tested for motion of
>> the base.
>>
> No. I'm only running GetStateValidity with one static pose.

Sachin Chitta
Research Scientist
Willow Garage