[ros-users] The Limitations of URDF

Herman Bruyninckx Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.be
Sat Aug 7 12:08:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, David Lu!! wrote:

> Hey ROS-community,I've been working with URDF extensively for awhile, and am
> wondering what the future is for its development. Specifically, whether the
> format will be extended at all to address what I perceive to be some of its
> limitations.
>
> I think the biggest limitation is the lack of graph support, which relates a
> link to two or more parent links (as opposed to the current tree structure). I
> believe this problem stems from KDL supporting only chains, and not graphs, but
> there are a number of situations where a graph structure is called for. The
> simplest example is a four bar linkage, which, as it stands, cannot be
> easily model led in URDF.

COLLADA seems to be the future: it allows to model graphs, for example; it
is a real international standard; there are already ROS initiatives working
in this direction.

KDL is also going to adopt COLLADA, in the coming year or so.

Best regards,

Herman Bruyninckx

--
   K.U.Leuven, Mechanical Eng., Mechatronics & Robotics Research Group
     <http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~bruyninc> Tel: +32 16 328056