[ros-users] binary packages dependencies

Rene Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 21:12:10 UTC 2010

On 07-08-2010 22:39, Ken Conley wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Rene Ladan<r.c.ladan at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I'm also planning to not include the build directories for the FreeBSD
>> port(s). For the core ROS system, the build directories take up 311MB
>> out of 466MB (67%), while the .svn directories (not part of the final
>> port) take up 22MB (4.7%). This means the core ROS system itself would
>> only take up about 133MB (source + binaries).
>
> See Brian's e-mali re: certain misbehaving packages. You will have to
> be careful about which packages you purge, though we are working on
> making this work universally.

Ok, I was only referring to the equivalent of the 'ros-cturtle-ros' package.

>> What is the purpose of the test directories? Are they only used to
>> self-test the freshly built system to see if it is production-ready?
>
> The test directory has:
>   1) the rostest package, which is an important tool integration testing
>   2) test_package packages, which are unit/integration tests for the
> ROS packages themselves.
>
> (1) we leave in because it is a general tool. (2) we leave in because
> it is often a valuable way of detecting platform incompatibilities. We
> could filter out (2), but it's not really big enough in comparison to
> other issues to have warranted much attention.

I'll leave them in, I was just wondering.

> I'm a little confused by your numbers. My binary install of ROS is
> only 150MB and that includes source+binaries+build directories. The
> only build directories>  1MB are gtest (9MB) and wxswig (32MB). Is
> there something different about the FreeBSD builds?

My current installation is just the cturtle svn checkout with the build
in the same directory (and some tutorial packages outside of this
directory). My gtest is 18MB, my wxswig is 40MB (also source + binaries
+ build). All my binaries are unstripped, which might explain the
increase in the install size. The default for FreeBSD ports is to strip
binaries (executables and libraries) upon installation.

Regards,
Rene
--
http://www.rene-ladan.nl/

GPG fingerprint = E738 5471 D185 7013 0EE0  4FC8 3C1D 6F83 12E1 84F6
(subkeys.pgp.net)