[ros-users] Going from latest to cturtle

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Mon Aug 9 17:13:33 UTC 2010

Benoit,
>From the messages, you are using the old version of rosinstall which you
look to have added to your path.  You should install the new version of
rosinstall http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosinstall  The current version is 0.5.4

After that I would suggest that you remove your checkout of the old version
"latest" from /opt/ros, putting two versions of ROS same code into the same
directory will definitely screw things up.

And then execute:
{{{
rosinstall /opt/ros/cturtle
http://ros.org/rosinstalls/cturtle_base.rosinstall
}}}

Note: This is the same command as you had except I added cturtle to the path
for clarity.  It's not required but is the standard location for the cturtle
distro in /opt/ros.

Tully

PS: If you are running on ubuntu I would also recommend that you look at
using the debian packages.  You can install them through apt.  See
http://www.ros.org/wiki/cturtle/Installation/Ubuntu

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 5:50 AM, Benoit Larochelle <benoit.larochelle at dfki.de
> wrote:

>  Hi,
>

> I currently have   ROS installed from SVN, and the last time that I
> updated it, it was called the "latest" version. Now that is has been
> renamed, I can't seem to update ROS.
>

> Here's what I get:
>

> *benoit at ToughbookUbuntu:/opt/ros/stacks$ rosinstall /opt/ros
> http://ros.org/rosinstalls/cturtle_base.rosinstall*
> *Falling back onto deprecated .rosinstall_source_uri
> rosinstall operating on /opt/ros from specifications in rosinstall files
> http://ros.org/rosinstalls/latest_base.rosinstall,
> http://ros.org/rosinstalls/cturtle_base.rosinstall
> ahhhhh got an error from the interwebs: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
> couldn't load config uri http://ros.org/rosinstalls/latest_base.rosinstall
> Usage: rosinstall PATH [URI] [options]
>
> rosinstall: error: None*
>
>  I tried installing with cturtle_base, latest_base, and unstable_base, but
> none of them work.
>
> Should I delete my .rosinstall_source_uri file, or maybe try something
> different?
>

> Benoit Larochelle, B.Eng., M.Sc.
> Software Engineer
>
> DFKI GmbH