[ros-users] pcl inconsistencies

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Tue Aug 10 21:21:09 UTC 2010

Hi Jared,
For clarification, the ROS standard is to use SI notation with mks units.
 And radians are the measurement of angle.  The best documentation of it is
here http://www.ros.org/wiki/tf/CoordinateFrameConventions This should be
promoted to a more visible location.

Please ticket any usage of degrees in an API for they should all be in
radians.

Tully

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Jared Marshall Glover <jglov at mit.edu>wrote:

> Hi Radu,
>
> Ok I created a ticket.  But it may be a larger issue than just consistency
> in
> SACSegmentation::setEpsAngle().  Also, you don't necessarily want to break
> existing code without warning.  Maybe you should decide on a unit system
> and
> put a clear indication in the documentation that as of version XXX all
> units
> will be standardized?
>
> -Jared
>

> Quoting Radu Bogdan Rusu <rusu at willowgarage.com>:
>
> > Hi Jared,
> >
> > oops. Can you please send me a patch (ticket works too)?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Radu.
> >
> > On 08/10/2010 02:05 PM, Jared Marshall Glover wrote:
> >> There seems to be an inconsistency in PCL (at least in cturtle...I
> haven't
> >> checked latest), in that some methods take angles in radians and some in
> >> degrees.  For example, SACSegmentation::setEpsAngle() accepts degrees
> for
> >> SACMODEL_ORIENTED_PLANE, but radians for SACMODEL_ORIENTED_LINE.
> >> Perhaps there
> >> should be a single convention throughout PCL to avoid confusion?
> >> It's already
> >> caused some headaches around here =)
> >>
> >> -Jared

> > --