[ros-users] PCL visualizer - deprecated header

Radu Bogdan Rusu rusu at willowgarage.com
Wed Aug 11 16:44:02 UTC 2010

Sanja,

Thanks for the notice. Unfortunately this is a VTK issue, so we'll have to tolerate it at this point.

Here's what's happening:
- we are trying to support 3 platforms at the same time: Ubuntu 9.04, 9.10, and 10.04
- Ubuntu 9.04 comes with an older (deprecated) version of VTK that we cannot use, while Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04 come with
the correct versions
- our VTK meta package attempts to automatically make use of the VTK ubuntu package in 9.10/10.04, while in 9.04 we need
to compile from source
- compiling from source guarantees no deprecated headers warnings, etc (because we can patch VTK locally before
compilation), but it takes a bit of time to compile the whole thing
- it seems that the Ubuntu 9.10/10.04 packages generate those deprecation warnings :(

I'm open to suggestions at this point.

PS. Btw, kudos for trying out the pcl_visualization stuff. It's really experimental at this point and I barely had time
to write the code, meaning that there's almost no documentation yet (besides a few examples). :) Let us know if there's
something you like/dislike about it so that we can change it.

Cheers,
Radu.