[ros-users] error: cannot load message class. Are you messages built?

Billy Okal b.okal at jacobs-university.de
Thu Aug 12 22:36:01 UTC 2010

When u do

'make clean'

in the package, it removes all the auto-generated stuff and only sources,
.msg. .srv. manifest.xml and the cmake file remains. this is what I do for
subversion purposes as I don't want to have the generated stuff under
version control.

Billy

2010/8/12 Gonçalo Cabrita <goncabrita at gmail.com>

> Thanks Ken, it worked!!
>
> However Ugo's reply got me thinking...
>
> So if I make a ROS pkg and want to share it with colleagues or online, is
> there any command I can run to "clean" the pkg, like "rosmake --pre-clean
> pkg-name" (I didn't try this yet)?
>
> Thanks for the help guys,
>
> Gonçalo Cabrita
> ISR - University of Coimbra
> Portugal
>

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com> wrote:
>
>> You will need to delete src/ardusim/msg/*.py as well.
>>
>> I general, there are a lot of problems copying compiled code trees
>> from one platform to another. In this case, there is the
>> incompatibilities of:
>>
>>  * Mac->Ubuntu
>>  * cturtle -> boxturtle
>>
>> Both of those are likely to cause problems.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Ken
>>
>> 2010/8/12 Gonçalo Cabrita <goncabrita at gmail.com>:
>> > Thanks for your replies guys!
>> >
>> > I'm pretty sure ROS_PACKAGE_PATH is set correctly. Ardusim was already
>> in the Eee PC, I just deleted it and copied the new version from my
>> computer. I deleted everything in the build folder and run rosmake ardusim.
>> Everything went as usual. I also checked for the build msg line at the cmake
>> file.
>> >
>> > I've tried to delete everything and leave only the code inside src and
>> the .msg files inside msg hoping there could be something that came from
>> cturtle that is not allowing it to run in boxturtle, but still after
>> everything compiles fine rostopic echo is not running.
>> >
>> > I'll try recording some data with rosbag and write a small node to read
>> the published topics. If the problem is just with rostopic echo I should be
>> able to continue my work. On the other hand I must find out what's wrong or
>> I wont be able to sleep tonight! :D
>> >
>> > Gonçalo Cabrita
>> > ISR - University of Coimbra
>> > Portugal

>> Along with the node I created some ROS msgs for the sensors. I compiled and
>> tested everything on my MacBook running Ubuntu 10.04 with cturtle, however,
>> when I copy the node to the robots (Eee PC also with Ubuntu 10.04 with
>> boxturtle) I run into some problems.

>> cannot rostopic echo my custom msgs! It gives me this error:

>> built?

>> rosmsg show. I've also tried roswtf but everything seems fine.

>> cturtle on one computer and boxturtle on the other? The node was created on
>> the MacBook with boxturtle previous to the cturtle update.

Best Regards,
Billy Okal.
"sure vi is user friendly, its just particular about who to be friends with"