[ros-users] running ROS unit tests -- error running PCL unit test suite?

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Fri Aug 13 22:52:41 UTC 2010

Mike,
Sorry, I wasn't aware of what you were working on.  Definitely keep going on
trunk then.  I was writing my standard response to people using trunk by
default, and then complaining about stability.   I try to reiterate the
suggestion to use released tags whenever possible.

And you were right Radu was able to fix it quickly.

Tully

> In terms of the actual error, it's a compile error.  I would highly
> > recommend that you not use trunk of anything that you are not involved
> > in actively developing.  Compile errors are not uncommon on trunk and
> > if you're not interested in tracking them down
> > and providing patches/opening tickets a released version will be much
> > better for you.  Something
> > like
> https://code.ros.org/svn/ros-pkg/stacks/point_cloud_perception/tags/cturtlewould likely be better.
>
> I wouldn't say I'm involved in actively developing pcl, but Radu and I
> discussed a week or so ago adding a (very) minor feature to the
> PointCloud class. I wrote a sketch, he added it, and asked me to write a
> unit test for it. Hence my interest in ROS unit testing, and my using
> the trunk repo.
>
> I'm very interested in tracking down and helping resolve errors, and was
> working on the one I reported. But such a specific compilation error
> seemed like something another developer might know the answer to
> quickly, so I thought I'd check.
>
> Anyway, back to unit testing!
>
> Mike

Tully Foote