[ros-users] Enabling double precision and finding libraries in ODE

Soo-Hyun Yoo yoos117 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 18:14:21 UTC 2010

Hi Dr. Stonier,

I'd love a way to customise them too - bit like gentoo with its USE flags.
> Not really possible at the moment though. Not sure if they have plans in
> that direction either. Anyway, its not a really big problem. I usually
> simply fork a package, sometimes even share resources (cmake files) betwen
> the packages so I'm not creating redundancies. We did this with opencv at
> our company to create an embedded version of opencv without all the gui
> components.
>

> If your ode ros package is exporting its headers properly, you shouldn't
> need to do anything except add ODE as a dependency in your manifest.xml.
> Just make sure the exports in the ODE package are pointing to the correct
> place. At the very least that will let you know how to reference drawstuff.

I really hope there will soon be a way to customize build options by, for
example, passing flags around between packages. It would just make it easier
for the user, I think. In the meantime, thank you for the heads-up!

You are building a library and an executable. CMake and RoS are probably
> using parallel jobs in which case it tries to build the library and the
> exeuctable at the same time. However on the first run, the library will take
> longer and so when the executable tries to link, it can't find the library.
> Note that you won't be seeing this problem if your ROS_PARALLEL_JOBS is set
> to 1.
>
> To fix it, simply add the following line to your cmake and it will make
> sure it will delay building the executable until after the library has been
> built.
>
> add_dependencies(robot_sim ${PROJECT_NAME})

I'm not sure.. I tried compiling both with ROS_PARALLEL_JOBS set to 1 and
with the add_dependencies() line, but I still have to compile twice before
the errors disappear. This makes me suspect even more that the fault lies in
my CMakeLists.txt file. I will follow up with any solutions I find after
consulting the CMake mailing list.

> By the way - are you korean?

Yes I am Korean. I see that you work for a robotics company in Korea! Sounds
like a lot of fun.

Soo-Hyun Yoo

--
Soo-Hyun Yoo