[ros-users] Automated checkout of missing dependencies + roslocate git support

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Mon Aug 16 18:23:55 UTC 2010

Steven,
We have thought about doing something like this.  And one of the ideas for
being able to do this sort of thing is to have a rosinstall file generator
which works off of a list of known compatible packages.  When we implement
it the list of known compatible packages will likely be our rosdistro file
format.

A good amount of this toolchain hasn't been stabilized and released which is
why we haven't prioritized it too much.  We'd be happy to work with you to
specify it as a tool which could be integrated into our release process.  If
you're interested, please email me off list and we can discuss more in
detail the tentative designs for a tool like this.

Tully

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 4:30 AM, Steven Bellens
> <steven.bellens at mech.kuleuven.be> wrote:
> > I'm trying to write a script/program to automate the download of
> > missing dependencies. This instead of having to download the missing
> > dependencies manually, or specify them in a .rosinstall file.
> > Any suggestions on what's the best way to do this?
> > I started writing a shell script for it, using `rospack depend
> > <PackageName>` to get the missing dependencies, but perhaps a c++ file
> > would be better?
>
> I definitely wouldn't do this in C++. I would probably use Python plus
> the roslib.package module.
>
> Such a script is likely to be dangerous -- it requires the assumption
> that "trunk" of all packages work together. At least for our code,
> that assumption is always false.
>
> > Furthermore, is it possible to add git support to the roslocate
> > command? Is this already planned, and, if not, how hard would it be to
> > add it myself?
>
> It is possible, but IMHO, it's non-trival. There are two issues with
> mapping it to the idea of roslocate:
>
>  * partial checkouts are only supported in git 1.7+
>  * the megamanifest code would have to be updated to determine the
> correct git parameters for partial checkout
>
> it's not hard, per se, but the git 1.7+ requirement, for example,
> limits the audience/value of the command.
>
>  - Ken

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer
Willow Garage, Inc.