[ros-users] Enabling double precision and finding libraries in ODE

Brian Gerkey gerkey at willowgarage.com
Mon Aug 16 21:58:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Soo-Hyun Yoo <yoos117 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed C Turtle and included the lines John gave in the
> manifest.xml of package "opende," though they did not seem to have any
> effect.
>
> Attached are the build_output.log files for atrias_sim on the first and
> second Make invocations.

As for the differences between the two runs, it's just warnings.  On
the first build, the compiler gives a bunch of warnings about your
code, but succeeds in compiling it.  On the second run, the code is
already compiled, so you don't see the warnings.

And in both cases, the build fails at the end because the linker can't
find libdrawstuff.  Looks like there's more to do to expose it from
within the opende package.

> Do you think using third-party dependencies will be a dead end in the long
> run? I will soon try using the system installation of ODE instead of the one
> provided by ROS since the system-wide ODE installation currently compiles
> with our non-ROS code.

It's not a dead-end, and I suspect that we'll continue to use some
software, such as ODE and OpenCV, as third-party ROS packages, because
we want very specific versions, sometimes with specific patches.  I
was just explaining why we haven't invested time in a more flexible
way of building third-party code (e.g., adding gentoo-like USE flags).

	brian.