[ros-users] communicating with windows

Christian Verbeek verbeek at servicerobotics.eu
Sun Aug 22 13:02:16 UTC 2010

 Dear Daniel,

I never thought about the idea to cross compile for windows using mingw
on my linux box. I asked google and that seems to be quite common.

These mingw libs can be used together with MS Visual Studio

(source http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MSVC_and_MinGW_DLLs)
gcc -shared -o testdll.dll testdll.c
-Wl,--output-def,testdll.def,--out-implib,libtestdll.a
lib /machine:i386 /def:testdll.def
cl testmain.c testdll.lib

by using visual studios lib program to generate a VS compatible lib file
from the gcc-generated def file.

As mingw uses the Win-API without intermediate layer like cygwin does
there should be full Win7 (both 32 and 64bit) compatibility. I did not
test this yet, but I am quite optimistic.

REC GmbH
Dr. Christian Verbeek
Robert-Koch-Str. 2, 82152 Planegg

Tel:    +49 89 85689672
Fax:    +49 89 85902327
Mobile: +49 160 7056589
e-mail: verbeek at servicerobotics.eu

Geschäftsführer: Dr. Christian Verbeek
Registergericht: AG München (HRB 154463)