[ros-users] communicating with windows

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 23:32:15 UTC 2010

Mingw is so incredibly slow on windows, I found the toolchain environ really
nice when I discovered it. I even managed to get qt+mingw cross compiling,
but qt isn't built well for cross-compiling - required so many hard code
hacks to make it build properly I don't think I ever want to try sustaining
that. I'd be interested to see how hard it is to cross-compile wxwidgets
with mingw. At the very least, if we can get the ros libs and headers
packaged up with the toolchain, windows development can just unpack these
and build with qt or similar, within windows.

Lots of questions, not many answers yet!

The willow garage guys have just opened up a new project on their code
server - eros. It's goal is to assist with both cross compiling and anything
related to using ros on embedded systems. The mingw toolchain is something
I've wanted to look at as well, so if we can collate information there from
various people doing testing, that'd be good - please sign up and let's use
the mailing list/forums to jot notes if you're interested.

p.s. Not much there yet sorry, only been two weeks and currently a bit
bombed at work with projects closing and holidays approaching. Will have
some good time for it when I take some leave, but should have ported some
python scripts and patches to make cross-compiling easier (from our Yujin
Robot packages) within a week or two.

Regards,
Daniel Stonier.

On 22 August 2010 22:02, Christian Verbeek <verbeek at servicerobotics.eu>wrote:

>  Dear Daniel,
>
> I never thought about the idea to cross compile for windows using mingw
> on my linux box. I asked google and that seems to be quite common.
>
> These mingw libs can be used together with MS Visual Studio
>
> (source http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MSVC_and_MinGW_DLLs)
> gcc -shared -o testdll.dll testdll.c
> -Wl,--output-def,testdll.def,--out-implib,libtestdll.a
> lib /machine:i386 /def:testdll.def
> cl testmain.c testdll.lib
>
> by using visual studios lib program to generate a VS compatible lib file
> from the gcc-generated def file.
>
> As mingw uses the Win-API without intermediate layer like cygwin does
> there should be full Win7 (both 32 and 64bit) compatibility. I did not
> test this yet, but I am quite optimistic.

> REC GmbH
> Dr. Christian Verbeek
> Robert-Koch-Str. 2, 82152 Planegg
>
> Tel:    +49 89 85689672
> Fax:    +49 89 85902327
> Mobile: +49 160 7056589
> e-mail: verbeek at servicerobotics.eu
>
> Geschäftsführer: Dr. Christian Verbeek
> Registergericht: AG München (HRB 154463)

Phone : +82-10-5400-3296 (010-5400-3296)
Home: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/
Yujin Robot: http://www.yujinrobot.com/
Embedded Control Libraries: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/redmine/wiki/ecl