[ros-users] communicating with windows

Christian Verbeek verbeek at servicerobotics.eu
Mon Aug 23 12:02:49 UTC 2010

 Just to focus discussion a little bit more. Windows comes into play in
my eyes only as GUI front-end to a ROS system running on a Linux-PC
equipped robot. Tools like roslaunch do not make any sense on windows
where I need to hide everything behind a shine GUI.

Of course it would be very nice to just compile ros libraries directly
with Visual Studio on windows. But maybe the mingw cross-compiler is the
best one can do right now. I would even link the whole ROS functionality
into a shared library build with mingw on Linux giving that shared
library an interface not using ros at all. That would mean I have to
translate messages into something usable in my windows application but
this has to be done anyway.

That leads to the question if it is possible to implement a ROS node
into a shared library and starting that node without roslaunch and
environment variables like ROS_MASTER_URI. Does anyone did something
like that already?