[ros-users] communicating with windows

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 21:43:45 UTC 2010

Christian,

Since you are making the assumption that you have a Linux PC running on the
robot and network access to that robot, would it make sense to use a web
interface (like the still in development
http://www.ros.org/wiki/web_interface) for visualization and control?

For example, there is http://www.ros.org/wiki/navigation_application that
(and I'm only guessing based on name and some of the source files) looks to
be the start of a web-based version of nav_view (or something close). Seems
to me that gets around the cross-platform problems as, with the server
running on Linux, there is no special cross-compiling; it also helps with
the commercial app user base because all your customers need is a supported
web browser (hopefully a recent version of Firefox or Chrome would suffice),
which may be easier to support than Windows XP up to Windows 7, Mac OS X and
Linux in all its flavors.

Not saying that ROS support for Windows wouldn't be a good thing, just that,
in this case, perhaps a web interface would be better/easier than getting
all of ros, navigation and visualization to run on Windows natively.

- Eric