[ros-users] Gazebo model falls from sky

John Hsu johnhsu at willowgarage.com
Tue Aug 24 17:23:10 UTC 2010

Hi Ricarda,
Couple of questions:  which world file are you using?  Is it possible to
share your model?
If you start up the world paused, does the model spawn where you expect it
to be?
John

On Aug 24, 2010 7:15 AM, <steffens at informatik.uni-bonn.de> wrote:

Hi everybody,

I made an URDF model of our robot, which works quite well in rviz, and now
I want to use it to create a simulation of our robot in gazebo.
As I could not load the entire robot model I did it one part after another.
The problem is that parts of the robot or sometimes the entire robot fall
from the sky after spawning the model.
I checked the accuracy of every value and possible collisions and tried to
solve the problem with trial-and-error but I could not find a mistake or
solve the problem.

I suppose that there is a problem with the links which have no further
function of its own.
As apparently it is not possible to use those links ( <link name="link1"
/> ) within gazebo I filled the attribute values with zeros:
               <link name="link2">
                       <inertial>
                               <mass value="0.01" />
                               <origin xyz="0 0 0" />
                               <inertia ixx="1.0" ixy="0.0" ixz="0.0"
                                                       iyy="1.0" iyz="0.0"
izz="1.0" />
                       </inertial>
                       <visual>
                               <origin xyz="0 0 0" rpy="0 0 0" />
                               <geometry>
                                       <box size="0 0 0" />
                               </geometry>

                               <material name="red" />
                       </visual>
                       <collision>
                               <origin xyz="0 0 0" rpy="0 0 0" />
                               <geometry>
                                       <box size="0 0 0" />
                               </geometry>
                       </collision>
               </link>

I also did some trial-and-error here but it did not work out, too.
So does anybody have a clue of what to do here?

Thanks,
Ricarda