[ros-users] disabling motion planner collisions for move arm action

Kaijen Hsiao hsiao at willowgarage.com
Tue Aug 31 04:10:04 UTC 2010

Hi Adam,
You can tell move_arm to disable collisions between the object and the hand.
Look at http://www.ros.org/wiki/planning_environment/YAML%20configuration
and the 'retreat' function in grasp_executor_with_approach.cpp
(object_manipulator/src/grasp_execution).

Although if you just disable the collision and tell it to plan, it may
well just sweep the arm straight through the object.  That's why our
grasp pipeline uses approach and retreat positions.  We use move_arm
to get through free space to the approach position, then use
interpolated IK (collision-aware, but with collisions between the
object and the hand disabled) to plan straight-Cartesian-line
movements to get to the grasp.  Likewise, when we let go of an object,
we use interpolated IK to move away from the object before calling
move_arm to move through free space.

-Kaijen