[ros-users] data storage for recognition

Matei Ciocarlie matei at willowgarage.com
Tue Aug 31 17:06:29 UTC 2010

Hi Ugo,

The database_interface package that you found is what we are using
internally for our database of objects for manipulation (also see the
household_objects_database package, which uses this interface).

A few weeks ago we had some discussion about database support going
forward; the decision was that for "low-level" database integration,
we might switch to an existing open-source tool (such as
http://soci.sourceforge.net/) instead of the current
database_interface. We have also identified the need for a
higher-level ros-sql conversion tool, to go between ros messages and
database entries. However, for the moment, no concrete plans for this
have been laid out.

For now, the database_interface is in use, documented, and I will be
glad to provide support if you decide to use that. However, in the
longer run, it might be replaced by other external tools.

Matei

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Ugo Cupcic <ugo at shadowrobot.com> wrote:
> Dear Ivan,
>
> I don't think I'm looking for rosbag: we want to build a database (or
> something similar) of caracteristic values to be able to recognize the
> different objects based on the values of the sensors. I found this:
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/database_interface but wanted to know if something
> else existed as well.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ugo
>
> On 31/08/10 17:04, Ivan Dryanovski wrote:
>
> Ugo,
>
> The rosbag package (http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosbag) sounds like what
> you need. It has the capability to record and play back information in
> ROS, as well as tools to manage timing and synchronization.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ivan
>
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Ugo Cupcic <ugo at shadowrobot.com> wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>
> We're participating in a project regarding in hand manipulation.
>
> For this project we need to store relatively large quantities of data we
> get from different sensors (including tactile sensors / position sensors
> / orientation / ...) to caracterize different objects. We then need to
> access those data to compare against incoming values.
>
> Is there a ROS package which already does this kind of storage / access ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ugo
>
> --
> Ugo Cupcic         |  Shadow Robot Company | ugo at shadowrobot.com
> Software Engineer  |    251 Liverpool Road |
> need a Hand?       |    London  N1 1LX     | +44 20 7700 2487
> http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/              @shadowrobot

> Ugo Cupcic         |  Shadow Robot Company | ugo at shadowrobot.com
> Software Engineer  |    251 Liverpool Road |
> need a Hand?       |    London  N1 1LX     | +44 20 7700 2487
> http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/              @shadowrobot

Matei Ciocarlie
Research Scientist
Willow Garage Inc.