[ros-users] rospy and python 3.0

Severin Lemaignan severin.lemaignan at laas.fr
Wed Dec 1 11:17:51 UTC 2010

On 11/30/2010 06:53 PM, Ken Conley wrote:
>> which does not seem to be related to the port to Python 3 (but I may be
>> wrong: it may be some side-effect...)
>
> That is a python-based unit test, so perhaps that's the issue.

Yes, but other tests (like test_rosdep, test_rosmake) are Python as
well, and pass.

>> Be aware that the new version requires Python>= 2.6 (but I think it was
>> already assumed from the syntax I saw in the original files).
>
> The syntax is Python 2.5 (e.g. "from __future__ import
> with_statement"). Diamondback will be Python 2.5, we have not yet
> determined what E-Turtle will be, though I have confidence that it
> will be 2.6.

I've brought back the "from __future__ import with_statement". If
someone want to test with Python 2.5...

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to stick to Python 2.5 for
Diamondback? Python 2.6 is standard on Linux distrib since a while
(at least Ubuntu 9.10), and 100% compatible with Python 2.5...

> It will also be best to deal with the patch tool-by-tool.  That way me
> and Tully can deal with the patches separately.  Also, given that ROS
> is now split into ros and ros_comm, I think first we can target the
> 'ros' stack, and then target the ros_comm stack afterwards.

Yes, the first batch of patches only target the 'ros' stack. I've
splitted the original patch in one patch per tool in the trac ticket.

> Can you go ahead and create a ticket with your patch -- given that the
> time period for merging this will likely be a least several weeks
> away, it will make sure that this gets targeted properly.  Also, if
> the patch is split tool-wise, it is much more likely that we will be
> able to tackle it sooner.

Here we are:
https://code.ros.org/trac/ros/ticket/3166

Cheers,
Severin
          Séverin Lemaignan - lemaigna at in.tum.de
  [00]    PhD student on Cognitive Robotics
/|__|\   Technische Uni München - IAS group / LAAS-CNRS - RIS group
   ''     +498928917780 / +33561337844
          http://www.laas.fr/~slemaign