[ros-users] multiple ros nodes using same log file names

Mike Vande Weghe vandeweg at cmu.edu
Tue Dec 7 23:25:14 UTC 2010

We have two instances of the node "owd" running in different namespaces,
one called "/left/owd" and one called "/right/owd".  This is a great
setup for us because we can just include a common launch file in two
different namespace declarations, and nothing has to change in the
low-level node launch lines.

The problem I'm seeing, though, is that both nodes seem to send their
rosconsole output to the file owd-1.log.  Is there any way to get around
this and have distinct log files for each, even if the node names are
the same?  It seems like either the namespace should be part of the file
names, or the master should assign the numbered suffixes so that they
are guaranteed to be unique.

Thanks,

  Mike