[ros-users] New drivers

Radu Bogdan Rusu rusu at willowgarage.com
Thu Dec 9 10:01:35 UTC 2010

As my colleagues mentioned earlier, we are happy to announce complete ROS support for the new OpenNI (www.openni.org)
interface! You can check our progress at www.ros.org/wiki/ni. Feel free to send any questions you might have and join
our growing OpenNI community at openni-dev at googlegroups.com!

There's some concerns about whether we'll be going back and forth between our initial ROS kinect efforts and OpenNI. To
clarify this, we're 100% dedicated on working with and improving the OpenNI interface right now, which means all our
future demos and code releases will most likely be based on the new "ni" ROS stack.

Please expect a 0.1 release tomorrow for the new OpenNI stack, with complete support for Kinect, with nodelets, and PCL
launch files -- similar to our previous releases. In the meantime, you can obviously give it a try from our github repo.

Of course, this effort wouldn't be possible without the help of many of our colleagues at Willow Garage, but most
importantly people in the ROS community, who have pioneered the early efforts, and have built impressive demos that are
still virally being watched around the globe. We thank all of you and hope to continue our collaboration in the future!

Cheers,
Radu.
--
http://pointclouds.org