[ros-users] pr2_teleop keyboard app publishing 0 twist msg after key release

Steven Bellens steven.bellens at mech.kuleuven.be
Wed Dec 15 15:47:14 UTC 2010

Hi,

I made a little patch for the pr2_teleop keyboard app in order to, as
soon as the user releases the key, it publishes a zero Twist msg. We
needed it here in order to get it succesfully working with our Orocos
application. Otherwise, the robot would just keep on moving after
releasing the key( which sounds like very dangerous :) )
How do other ROS applications handle this? I guess there must be some
timeout implemented while listening on the twist topic in order to set
the velocity to 0 when no new data arrives?
If others are interested, I'll file a ticket for it.

regards,

Steven