[ros-users] vSLAM demo?

papadakis papadakis at dis.uniroma1.it
Thu Dec 16 12:30:21 UTC 2010

Hi,

So we've been also trying to experiment with the vslam package that is
provided (with a lot of excitement.. ;-)).
These are the issues that we had to deal:

* Synchronization of two individual 1394 cameras. Since they run as two
separate nodes, there is no synchronization. We started with a suboptimal
solution just to have some results, but we would like a suggestion on what
is the best way to achieve this in ROS. We have also experimented with a
bumblebee camera where we don't have this problem, but we don't want to
restrict ourselves in a particular camera.

* We don't know what to expect in terms of results, from the current vslam
system. The tutorial bag works, and for simple paths just like the one in
the tutorial we seem to obtain similar results. It would be helpful to see
more complicated (including loops and steeper turns of the cameras) bags and
see how vslam performs in these cases. In our experiments, we notice that
the position of the camera setup is consistent for not so curved paths, but
suddenly it may appear in a totally irrelevant position in the map. Maybe we
are doing something wrong of course...

* Finally, we find that there is plurality of parameters involved in all the
stages of vslam. From calibration and rectification to the selection of the
features (FAST,STAR,Harris, SURF) and maybe other also that may be
hardcoded... if there are some particular settings and options that seem to
work best on average what are these settings?

Thank you all in advance :-).