[ros-users] URDF Jitter in RVIZ

Chad Rockey chadrockey at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 04:23:34 UTC 2010

So I have been following the really nice (R2D2) tutorials on URDF, thanks a
lot for those!  I've managed to get our robot model into RVIZ and follow
base_link, but the transforms on the URDF besides base_link all seem to time
lag, causing some jittery looking motion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiQUc8FG6m8

We originally noticed that the static TFs defaulted publishing
from joint_state_publisher at 10Hz, so we set it to 100Hz.  This upped the
maximum rate published to that of our base_link (~50Hz from our odom
source), but this is what you see in the video.

The model does not jitter in RVIZ if the target and fixed frame are set to
base_link, but does jitter when fixed frame is odom.

We are playing data from a recorded bag file using --clock and have set
use_sim_time to true.

I've attached a copy of the xacro file I use to generate our urdf in case
I've made a mistake in there.

Thanks,
 - Chad