[ros-users] Costmap2DROS timeouts and poor amcl performance

zdydek zac at mit.edu
Sat Dec 18 21:41:10 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble running the navigation stack on my robot. I get
periodic Costmap2DROS transform timeouts which cause the planners to stop
and replan. This happens about once every second leading to really poor
performance.

I ran tf_monitor and found that everything looked ok (odom being published
at 50 Hz, little delays in all tf's) with the exception of amcl, which had a
max delay of around 0.25 sec. CPU utilization is high (50-75%), but not
locked at 100%.

I tried various things to improve the performance including reducing the
size and resolution of my costmap, and reducing the number of particles in
amcl (all the way to 100 particles!). This seems to have helped the problem
a bit, but the the behavior still occurs once every couple seconds.

Not sure how I should proceed from here. I would really appreciate your
help!

Thanks,

-Zac