[ros-users] AMCL and msgs laserscan/pointcloud

trigal trigal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 13:49:58 UTC 2010

Hi ros-users!

I'm using ROS for developing a control of an big robot (autonomous car) and
I have a few
questions, regarding AMCL and sensor messages laserscan and pointcloud.

I have a SICK LD-MRS400001 series laser range finder. This laser, with my
current configuration,
doesn't seem to have a constant angular resolution so, when I build laser
scan messages putting all
data inside the result, the points positions are not distributed properly,
resulting wider or shorter
with respect to the obstacles.
To solve the problem I thought to use the horizontal angle of the measure
that the lasers sends for
every point/beam in the scan, so today I tried to create a point cloud
instead of a laserscan message
and everything worked fine.
But now the problem is: how can I use this information for the AMCL
localization?
The laserscan data assumes that points have all the same angular distance
(angle_increment) and I
know there exist procedure to convert a laserscan message into a pointcloud
message, but I couldn’t
find a procedure to do the opposite, a mean to convert a pointcloud into
laserscan (I do understand
that finding the "best" laserscan based on a pointcloud is not a trivial
matter).
I took a look at AMCL code and I found relations with laser_pipeline that
advised me to don't try
to modify the node without a complete knowledge of what that code does!

So again, does anyone know how I could use this range finder for the
localization with AMCL?

Best regards,
Augusto