[ros-users] Node Handle details

joan_perez jnperez at iri.upc.edu
Tue Dec 21 16:46:29 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I have a few questions related to node handles which I believe have not been
asked before. For what I have seen, there are many different ways of using
node handles. I could not find the answers in the
http://www.ros.org/wiki/roscpp/Overview/NodeHandles wiki  nor in any

1- It is better to have a single node handle for all topics in a node, or it
is more appropriate to use a node handle per topic?

2- Related to these question, should I declare node handles as member class
attributes or just as function variables? I have even seen node handles
created on a function call.

3- Should I better use node handle's namespace rather than node namespace?

4- Which is the main purpose of the private node handle (the one with
private namespace "~")? It is meant to be used only for the parameter
server?

5- Is there any additional feature (apart from queuing relative namespace)
for specifying a node handle as child from the other?

Thanks in advance,
Joan