[ros-users] Avoiding Collisions between robots

davidbsp at iol.pt davidbsp at iol.pt
Sun Dec 26 02:53:31 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

I have been making some experiments on ROS together with Stage, using
multiple mobile robots in the same environment.
All robots run the navigation stack. However, sometimes they collide
with each other.

As far as I understood, the navigation stack assumes a static
environment. I have tried to stop one robot when two robots are
crossing each other (by sharing their positions in a common topic) and
still the moving robot often drives into the stopped robot. I also get
collisions by stopping both of them and resetting their goals.

Should I redefine the parameters of the local planner or this is not
the way to go? I have tried both DWA and Trajectory Roll Out with
different parameters and had no luck.

I also have tried to set intermediate goals when robots are close, in
order to keep them away from each other. However using the navigation
stack in tight places with two robots, a "repelling force" effect on
the robots seems to prevent them to achieve their intermediate goals.

I had better luck by giving the robots velocity commands in opposite
directions when they are close to each other, however this is a
solution that i was not willing to use, since it bypasses the
navigation stack and it highly depends on the free space around the
robots.

I was wondering if there is any mechanism to prevent robots from
colliding with each other. If not, can you give me hints on how to
create such a mechanism?

Thank you in advance,

David Portugal

Mobile Robotics Laboratory