[ros-users] ccny: polar scanner and ar_pose

Prasad Dixit abhimohpra at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 07:59:46 UTC 2010

Hello,

Our Robot(Indoor) is dependent on the encoders and laser scanner URG-04. The
range of my laser is 4 to 5.6 mtrs. Due to lack of expert manufacturers here
locally, we do not have highly precise and quality motors. It is two wheel
drive and unfortunately encoder producing lot of difference in values due to
original rpm difference between two motors. It is big concern to me.

I am exploring ccny packages in context to get more tools to make robot more
accurate and smooth running. I am currently working on two packages
ar_pose(ekf) and polar_scanner_matcher. I already had a discussion with you
in some other thread related related to ar_pose which was really helpful to
me.

I further have some questions related to both of them.

For ar_pose:
I run ar_pose and now it is giving pose estimation in matrix through
poseWithCovOut. Since it is part of ekf i believe it is fusing /odom, /laser
and /camera inputs. How will poseWithCovOut be referred in localization OR
gmapping if i am using an AMCL with static map?  There is also a package
robot_pose_ekf with its "vo" parameter. Is it necessary then to use it, if i
am using ar_pose_ekf?

For polar_scan_matcher:
As this works without odometry reference. I executed psm_node independently
and got pose2D results. How will i make use in navigation stack? since AMCL,
Planner are referring odometry values. I thought to give pose2D in odometry
itself so, /odom will show polar_scan_matcher results but further while
instructing to motor how cmd_vel of planner will work in connection with
pose2D when motor inputs are not taken physically from scan matcher?

I hope all my questions are clear and valid.

Wish you have a happy and prosperous new year.

- Prasad