[ros-users] Please remove references to msg/cpp and srv/cpp from package manifests

Brian Gerkey gerkey at willowgarage.com
Thu Dec 30 19:19:42 UTC 2010

hi,

Starting with cturtle, roscpp puts its generated message and service
headers into the `msg_gen` and `srv_gen` directories, and rospack
automatically adds them to compile lines as needed.  So it's no longer
necessary to export the `msg/cpp` or `srv/cpp` include directories
from package manifests.  Besides bloating the compile lines, these
unnecessary arguments can cause annoying warnings in some IDEs (e.g.,
Eclipse).

There are many packages where these old exports are still hanging
around.  They look something like this:

  <export>
    <cpp cflags="-I${prefix}/msg/cpp -I${prefix}/srv/cpp"/>
  </export>

Please have a look at packages that you maintain; if you find these
exported flags, please remove them.

There's a forthcoming enhancement to roswtf to warn on the presence of
these flags: https://code.ros.org/trac/ros/ticket/3221.

	brian.