[ros-users] motor control driver (CiA DSP 402 EPOS/ELMO)

Piotr Trojanek piotr.trojanek at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 12:59:54 UTC 2010

Dear Stéphane,

have you consider to base your work on the CanFestival [1] project?

I am currently working on pretty much the same job that you have probably
already done. At this moment I am communicating with my EPOS2 devices
with USB and RS232 [3]. I have gathered code from various sources [2]
(together
with mentioned patches), cleaned it up a bit and put it into a C++ class.

The CAN chip inside my embedded pc-board is the SJA1000 supported with
the standard Linux sja1000_isa kernel module. Now I was going to implement
the CANopen master with help of CanFestival. This project seems to be a kind
of overhead, but what is is nice, that it supports different OSes. I think
that this is
the way to go in the spirit of the open-source community.

I can see, that your repository contains just a very initial stage of the
project.

Do you think you can share more of your work? I would be happy to merge
the my code [3] with your CanOpen layer.

[1] http://www.canfestival.org/
[2] http://www.lsw.uni-heidelberg.de/users/mhauser/libEPOS/
[3] https://github.com/ptroja/mrrocpp/tree/master/src/robot/epos/,
     files epos.h, epos.cc, test.cc and epos.i (a SWIG interface for
command-line
     testing).

Yours,

2010/12/1 Stéphane Magnenat <stephane.magnenat at mavt.ethz.ch>

> Hello,
>
> We have developed in-house drivers for EPOS/ELMO controllers, which are
> based on the CanOpen/CiA DSP 402 protocol.
>
> These drivers are written in C, and we are currently in the process of
> re-factoring these libraries in C++, with the goal of doing a clean ROS
> driver afterwards. Initially, the library [1] will contain
> implementations of subsets of both CanOpen and CiA DSP 402, with quirks
> for EPOS and ELMO. On the longer run, we will probably split the CanOpen
> part into another library and add more complete CiA DSP 402 support,
> including PDO.
>
> I guess that this might be of interest for the ROS user community. We
> are commited to an open-development model and so contributions are very
> welcome.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Stéphane
>
> [1] https://github.com/ethz-asl/libcia-dsp-402