[ros-users] Ros Communications

Piotr Trojanek piotr.trojanek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 16:36:29 UTC 2010

0mq does not handle serialization at all. It just pass a binary blobs of
data.

I think, that ICE is closer to your needs, as it is less than a CORBA, more
than a message passing.

P.S. My team is using a kind of custom, QNX-like message passing library
(planned to be moved to 0mq)
together with boost::archive compatible XDR serializer. We found it easier
to interface with C++ than writing
a IDLs. Also we did not want to have any dynamic memory allocation on the
route, because of real-time
requirements. This is the reason we choose not to use google protocol
buffers or any kind of XML.

Piotr,

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 09:23, Severin Lemaignan
<severin.lemaignan at laas.fr>wrote:

> On 12/03/2010 08:56 AM, Daniel Stonier wrote:
> > Are there currently any alternatives to ros for this? I've done a bit
> > of testing with google protobuffs, but only to do serialisation on
> > large data type dumps to files. You'd still need a framework on top of
> > this to provide the other requirements.
>
> Did you have a look to 0mq? http://www.zeromq.org/
>
> Severin
>
> --
>          Séverin Lemaignan - lemaigna at in.tum.de
>  [00]    PhD student on Cognitive Robotics
> /|__|\   Technische Uni München - IAS group / LAAS-CNRS - RIS group
>   ''     +498928917780 / +33561337844
>          http://www.laas.fr/~slemaign <http://www.laas.fr/%7Eslemaign>

Piotr Trojanek
Robot Control and Recognition Systems Team <http://robotics.ia.pw.edu.pl/>,