[ros-users] Changing Festival voices or speed with sound_play?

Patrick Goebel patrick at casbs.stanford.edu
Fri Dec 3 21:54:10 UTC 2010

Yes, text2wav as well as 'festival --tts' seem to pick up the Festival
default voice.  I've done some more playing and it seems that sound_play
sometimes gets it right and sometimes not.  For example, the kal_diphone
voice is the one that sounds very low (bass) and slow.  But sound_play
does OK with don_diphone and rab_diphone even though they don't sound
exactly like they do when playing through Festival direclty.  I also
tried the the Finnish voice suo_fi_lj_diphone which plays fine in
Festival but rather low and slow like kal_diphone when using sound_play.

And thanks Moritiz for the pointer to other voices.  For now I just want
something that can be understood and won't scare the cats. ;-)  Either
don_diphone or rab_diphone should do the trick.

--patrick