[ros-users] Nodelets

Patrick Bouffard bouffard at eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat Dec 4 20:46:22 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Nicholas Butko <nbutko at ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Could you achieve the same behavior by having a separate nodelet manager for each nodelet? For example, would it be easy to write a shell script that starts a uniquely named nodelet manager and assigns a single nodelet to it? Call such a script "rosrun_nodelet" for example. Then you could run a single piece of code as a nodelet or a node.

As I understand it, that's exactly what happens when you run a nodelet
as 'standalone'.
That's what I was getting at with my question originally--why bother
with nodes when you can have standalone nodelets?

> How easy is it to write a main function that "runs" a nodelet as a node?

Very easy. You don't need a main function at all:

rosrun nodelet nodelet standalone your_pkg/YourNodelet

(or the equivalent in a .launch file)

Pat