[ros-users] ar_pose basic questions

Nikhil Karnad karnad at cs.umn.edu
Sat Dec 4 22:33:04 UTC 2010

With regard to a UVC/V4L20-level camera driver...

For some time now at our lab, we have been using this V4L2-based camera
driver with success (GNU GPL v3.0 license). If your kernel (>2.5.x) and
camera (?) support V4L2, this should work for you.

http://code.google.com/p/libv4l2cam/

It comes with a ROS broadcast wrapper for a stereo-camera pair, but we were
able to wrap a separate monocular camera ROS broadcaster as well.

Note that setting the V4L2 camera options in libcam.h is not completely
provided, e.g. we had to add white-balance and gain compensation parameters
ourselves (using linux/videodev2.h, and specifically the structure
v4l2_queryctl with ioctl() calls). Ideally, it would be nice to expose the
getting and setting of these parameters through ROS services.

We don't have a public code repository yet, but it is planned pending a
consolidation effort. I'll try to make this available soon (unless someone
has beaten me to it), so that there aren't as many copies of this as there
are for ARToolkit!

Best,
Nikhil

----