[ros-users] Nodelets

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 21:41:35 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Nicholas Butko <nbutko at ucsd.edu> wrote:
> The question is how to do that. The problem is how the nodelet can periodically "wake up" and grab a frame from the camera, in order to publish it. One proposed technique was to set a timer.

For some devices, you want to read the data as fast as it becomes
available, not waiting for a timer event.

I'm planning to make a nodelet version of the camera1394 driver. I
want to create a device poll thread that reads the device as quickly
as possible.

I did something similar in the nodelet version of the Velodyne driver,
and it seems to work fine there:

  http://code.google.com/p/utexas-art-ros-pkg/source/browse/trunk/stacks/velodyne/velodyne_common/src/nodelets/driver_nodelet.cc

--
 joq