[ros-users] Looking for a cheap and simple ROSable robot to buy

Nathaniel Lewis linux.robotdude at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 02:56:53 UTC 2010

I am assuming since you are interested in ROS, you are running some flavor
of Linux already, thats step one.  What I did to get started with ROS was
actually use ROS and a Parallax Boe-Bot.  I bought a Blue-SMIRF bluetooth
modem from sparkfun electronics but I don't know how available their
products are to you since you live in Australia.  I wrote a simple program
for the basic stamp (parallax's controller) to send sensor data and accept
motion data to/from my laptop over Bluetooth.  I wrote a wrapper that then
resided on the PC and I was running ROS on the PC, but it was controlling
the little robot.

The thing is you could take an existing robot you have and write a layer to
allow ROS on the PC to talk with it. - Nathaniel