[ros-users] Nodelets, image_transport, and shared_ptr

Patrick Mihelich mihelich at willowgarage.com
Tue Dec 7 08:31:24 UTC 2010

If you publish a shared_ptr<sensor_msgs::Image> using raw transport,
image_transport takes advantage of roscpp's optimized intraprocess message
passing. So you can use image_transport to pass images in nodelets.

Generalizing image_transport to handle other representations - including
something like shared_ptr<cv::Mat> - is on my wishlist, but too invasive to
make it into Diamondback at this point.

Cheers,
Patrick