[ros-users] Ros Communications

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 09:59:57 UTC 2010

On 7 December 2010 18:43, Cedric Pradalier <cedric.pradalier at mavt.ethz.ch>wrote:

> > Was talking to a group today who've also used boost::serialization
> > under the hood. Was wondering though - we did a test with binary
> > archives of a large ekf matrix a while ago (file dump on arm -> load
> > on intel) and failed. Found out later this was obscurely documented:
> >
> http://beta.boost.org/doc/libs/1_45_0/libs/serialization/doc/archives.html#archive_models
> > (in the code snippet comment '// non-portable binary archive').
> >
> > Does this effect boost based messaging systems?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Daniel.
>
> Hello Daniel,
>
> Not sure about the specifics, but I have been running ROS on a gumstix,
> with data reception on my intel laptop and I have not noticed any data
> corruption. The data being sent was mostly floating point numbers.
>
> Best.

Oh indeed - ros has their own serialisation code, not boost. We've had no
problem with floats/doubles on messages between an armv5/armv6 core and
intel machines as well. Couple of hitches with rpc stuff, but that's a
different issue.

> --
> Dr. Cedric Pradalier
> http://www.asl.ethz.ch/people/cedricp

Phone : +82-10-5400-3296 (010-5400-3296)
Home: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/
Yujin Robot: http://www.yujinrobot.com/
Embedded Ros : http://www.ros.org/wiki/eros
Embedded Control Libraries: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/redmine/wiki/ecl