[ros-users] Looking for a cheap and simple ROSable robot to buy

Chris Brown chrisneilbrown at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 22:58:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 7:24 AM, peter heim <peterheim at bigpond.com> wrote:

>  On 07/12/10 22:16, Chris Brown wrote:
>
> Where can I get an arbotix based module, sensors, framework, servos,
> wireless comms etc locally?
> NOTE I do not have Microsoft products at home, If the product is windows
> based its pretty useless to me
>
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 6:40 PM, peter heim <peterheim at bigpond.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 07/12/10 12:20, Chris Brown wrote:
>>
>>  Hello,
>>
>>  I'd like to start playing with some robot hardware integrating ROS
>> I have some electronic and programming skills
>> Are their any simple cheap development kits out there
>> Please note that I do live in Australia and certain products may not be
>> available or costly to import
>>
>> --
>> Chris

>>  Hi Chris
>> I live in Australia (cairns) the Arbotix and the serializer MCU are a good
>> start the serializer (from robotics connection)
>> costs about $10 in postage, there is a good fourm at
>>
>> http://forums.trossenrobotics.com
>>

>> Both have help available
>>
>> regards Peter

> Chris
> Aluminium Replacement Parts <http://arp.chrisb.id.au/>
> @arpartsau <http://twitter.com/arpartsau>

>  Hi
> the arbotix can be bought here
>
> http://www.trossenrobotics.com/c/arbotix-robocontrollers.aspx
>
> check out this thread
>
> http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=4410
>
> i run this under ubuntu 10.4 and ROS
> the arbotix with  dynamixel servo sharp IR range finder for about $160 + a
> drive base and encoders
> will allow you to use the navigation stack (but not gmapping)
>
> peter

But on that site I found the roboard, basically a 1Ghz 486 based SoC with
plenty of I/O. I can run ROS on this controller and wifi to my server if
need be
Would the roboard make good starting point?
As for the rest of the hardware I should be able to source it all locally
Luckily I can make my own aluminium parts

--
Chris