[ros-users] Ros Communications

Troy Straszheim straszheim at willowgarage.com
Wed Dec 8 06:50:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Daniel Stonier <d.stonier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Was talking to a group today who've also used boost::serialization under the
> hood. Was wondering though - we did a test with binary archives of a large
> ekf matrix a while ago (file dump on arm -> load on intel) and failed. Found
> out later this was obscurely documented:
> http://beta.boost.org/doc/libs/1_45_0/libs/serialization/doc/archives.html#archive_models
> (in the code snippet comment '// non-portable binary archive').
>
> Does this effect boost based messaging systems?

Just for reference, if you want to give this another try (serialize
via boost, not ROS), it ought to be as easy as using Piotr's xdr
archives instead of the stock binary archives.  So long as all the
types you are saving are platform independent typedefs (for instance
uint32_t instead of int), it should Just Work.  Like with the size_t,
be careful with your container sizes.

-t