[ros-users] controllers for car-like robots

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Thu Dec 9 02:19:47 UTC 2010

Deepak,

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 5:21 PM, <DRamachandran at hra.com> wrote:

> Apologies if this question has been answered before or is the wrong
> question or something. I am not an expert in this area.
>
> We would like a controller for a robot with car-like kinematics. DWA and
> trajectory rollout assume that the robot can have an
> independent rotational velocity but this is not possible in our robot. It
> is 4-wheeled and has a steering angle for the front two wheels which
> controls the change in heading in conjunction with the forward velocity.  I
> already have a high level planner for generating a plan from init to goal
> based on an A* like algorithm but we need a low-level controller. What is
> the best solution using ROS?  Should I modify DWA /TR so that it can
> sample trajectories with car-like dynamics? Is this already implemented
> somewhere?

I don't think this has been done, though I may just not know about it. If
you do decide to modify DWA / TR to provide support for this, I'd be happy
to take a patch back. Alternatively, you could write your own local planner
that adheres to the BaseLocalPlanner interface,
http://www.ros.org/wiki/nav_core#BaseLocalPlanner, and release that as a
standalone package.

Hope all is well,

Eitan