[ros-users] controllers for car-like robots

DRamachandran at hra.com DRamachandran at hra.com
Thu Dec 9 20:08:49 UTC 2010

Eitan, Tully, Jack,

    Thanks for your help.  I looked through the  ART code, and it seems to
me they have divided up the code into task specific controllers for e.g.
following lane, u-turn etc.  rather
than using a single control algorithm like DWA. It seems that most of the
Urban Challenge teams did this... is there a reason why? Is it that
generic controllers aren't good enough for Ackerman drives?

What we are looking at is something along the lines of LAGR, but in much
more constrained spaces (indoor).  I think I will start by modifying DWA.
That might be of most use to the ROS community as well.

~Deepak

"Jack O'Quin" <jack.oquin at gmail.com>
Sent by: ros-users-bounces at code.ros.org
12/08/2010 07:07 PM
Please respond to
User discussions <ros-users at code.ros.org>

User discussions <ros-users at code.ros.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [ros-users] controllers for car-like robots

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Tully Foote <tfoote at willowgarage.com>
wrote:
> Hi Deepak,
>
> I'm not familair with the ART codebase but you may want to look here
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/art_nav

That package does drive a car with Ackermann steering. It's pretty
specific to the 2007 DARPA Urban Challenge in terms of road map input
and navigation requirements.

Probably not what you want, but you're welcome to use whatever might
help. The stack is art_vehicle. We'd like to make a more ROS-style
navigation implementation.

If you're interested maybe we could collaborate on that.
--
 joq