[ros-users] University of Ulster ISRC Repo

Patrick Bouffard bouffard at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 13 20:12:39 UTC 2010

Hi Chris,

Nice work. I also wrote a VICON package for ROS:
https://github.com/pbouffard/vicon_mocap

I was naturally curious and took a quick look at your code. It looks
like one difference is that I'm using the DataStream API from VICON,
while it looks like you are using the sockets directly. Is that for
performance reasons? I guess it also has the advantage of not having a
dependency on the SDK. I'm curious--is there some documentation
available on the protocol used?

Also, it looks like in your node a model file must be provided--what
type of file is this, is it a .vsk file? In our use case we are only
interested in the rigid body pose of a single segment on one subject
so we just ask the API for those by name. I guess your solution is a
bit more general as it seems it provides all the VICON data for all
subjects down to the marker level.

Anyway, always nice to see how others are solving a similar problem.
I'd of course be open to working together if that makes sense, though
I suspect our respective implementations do what we each need them to
do already.

Cheers,

Pat