[ros-users] Gazebo and obstacles

John Hsu johnhsu at willowgarage.com
Wed Dec 15 19:32:10 UTC 2010

Hi Nicolas,

Here's a simple example hopefully matches what you're looking for,  The two
lines below should first bring up an empty world, then spawn a set of walls:

roslaunch gazebo_worlds empty_world.launch
rosrun gazebo spawn_model  -gazebo -file `rospack find
gazebo_worlds`/objects/wg_walls.model -model wall

Note that using the <map> element as in wg_walls.model creates a lot of
static objects in the world and this can potentially slow down simulation
significantly (for example, see
https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/4458).  Currently this is not an
issue if the environment is represented by a single complex trimesh such as
the case where we modeled WG office walls as a single trimesh, which you can
test out separately by:

roslaunch gazebo_worlds wg_collada_world.launch

John