[ros-users] Eclipse projects

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 01:37:11 UTC 2010

On 16 December 2010 01:58, Alex Bravo <robotnv at gmail.com> wrote:

> But shouldn't these shall be read from user profile/terminal by eclipse?
>>
>  Nitin, do you have "*Append variables to native environment*" selected?
> See this for more details:
>
> http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.cdt.doc.user/tasks/cdt_t_run_env.htm
>
> Hopefully it helps,
> Alex

Shouldn't need to have to do any manual fiddling inside eclipse at all. That
just ends up getting extremely annoying having to do it for every eclipse
installation, or ros_root, or even more so if you're doing it project by
project.

So long as you set up a bash script and source the setup.sh file
appropriately before executing eclipse, all the variables will automatically
get dragged into the eclipse environment.

#!/bin/bash
# This only needed by ubuntu karmic and eclipse ganymede(?), otherwise
comment out
# export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1
source /opt/ros/setup.sh
# Add the full path if eclipse is not in your PATH
exec eclipse

Some additional info

- any new 'ros' project we create inside eclipse is a makefile project
located at the package root.
- build and clean targets should work automatically at the package level
(thats all you need while coding).
- you can add extra targets (e.g. make tests) in the Make Target view.
- indexing needs you to set(CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE true) in your
CMakeLists.txt
- indexing should then work more or less depending on how intensive your
index preferences are.
- no rosmake integration, if we want to rosmake, we do that externally in a
terminal (faster anyway).
- no global debug/release integration, I do that externally w/ eros'
rosbuild cmd, or you can edit ROS_ROOT/rosconfig.cmake.

Essentially, its just using eclipse as a really simple frontend to the make
commands that ros uses and as an indexer, nothing special. But that's all
thats needed to help speed up development.

Nitin, some odd things happening with what you're trying I think. You said
you imported gmapping? How? You can't import ros' gmapping package because
it isn't an eclipse project. You need to create a new makefile package,
point it at the gmapping package root. And then you're good to go.

Also, I'm using a bog standard Helios, no environment variable settings or
path settings and no problem here (just so you know it can be done! :)).

Cheers,
Daniel.

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 2:05 AM, nitinDhiman <nitinkdhiman at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> Apparently run configuration for project is not picking ROS environment
>> variables automatically. Manually setting them in run configuration has
>> solved problem for now.
>>
>> But shouldn't these shall be read from user profile/terminal by eclipse?
>>
>> regards
>> Nitin
>> --

Phone : +82-10-5400-3296 (010-5400-3296)
Home: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/
Yujin Robot: http://www.yujinrobot.com/
Embedded Ros : http://www.ros.org/wiki/eros
Embedded Control Libraries: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/redmine/wiki/ecl