[ros-users] Sonar sensor and PTZ actuators on Erratic

Antons Rebguns arebgun at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 00:41:02 UTC 2010

Pablo,

Perfect. The code is almost complete, we initially forked your
> ua_erratic_player package but definitely is better to patch your package.

Great! Just send me an email whenever you think the code is ready and I will
it to the driver.

> Yep. It's the most straight forward method.
> mmm but anyways sooner or latter we'll have to publish in a JointStateArray
> and connect it with a robot_state_publisher given that we'll need the
> vision_ptz frame to locate the vision device point cloud. This info can be
> published also by the erratic node. Do you agree? :-?

I would think each joint just needs to continuously publish it's current
position, another node collects all joint positions from all the motors on
the robot and just publishes a single joint_states message. That message
gets picked up by robot_state_publisher which publishes tf transforms based
on urdf description.

Now, I am not sure it's the best way, but I am also no sure what will happen
if every motor on the robot starts publishing to joint_states directly, will
the robot_state_publisher still work ok? Anybody has comments on that?

> Definitely.  I was thinking again in a "look at" method because initially I
> though that the ranger actuator was a ptz too.
>
> One question more. Do you have' any erratic specification document where I
> may find precise measurements of the sonar devices arrangement? I need a
> more detailed urdf description to get all the sonar devices frames. This is
> needed to fill the Range message properly. The problem is that none of the
> specification documents of erratics that I find contain such information.

No, I don't have any specific docs about exact sonar placement. Here is a
link to the manual from the site though:

http://www.videredesign.com/assets/docs/manuals/man_era_rev_h.pdf

page 25 talks about sonars and has a picture of the placement but there are
no dimensional drawings.

Thanks,
Anton