[ros-users] ROS on opensuse 11.3

Benjamin Cohen bencohen2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 17:02:28 UTC 2010

Hey Murilo,

A while back I asked about the ROS support on OpenSuse 11.2 and I was told
that while there is no current support right now, it isn't that difficult to
add official support myself. My need to get it working immediately on
OpenSuse might have gone away (I was interested in installing ros on the
machines a linux lab at my school for a class next semester) so I won't be
getting around to it anytime soon. I copied and pasted Tully's directions
from his response to me on Oct 27. If you decide to go through with adding
suse support, it would be great if you can keep the list updated on your
progress :).

Hi Ben,
It should be possible.  I don't know how recently people have tried those
instructions.  The biggest challenge you will face is that I see that SuSE
is not detected by rosdep, and I don't think that there are any definitions
of rosdeps for SuSE either.

This gives you two options.  One is to manually install all the rosdeps
manually.  The other option is to patch rosdep to support SuSE.  There are
two parts to this.  One is adding the OS detector,
http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosdep/Tutorials/Add%20Support%20for%20an%20OS%20to%20rosdep
and the other is to add SuSE defintions for all the things in rosdep.yaml
files,
http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosdep/Tutorials/Add%20new%20OS%20to%20rosdep.yaml

I would recommend option 2.  It is a little bit more work, but that likely
will save you work in the long run since you don't have to disable rosdep
checking.  Also the incremental difference in effort is small and a lot of
SuSE users would be appreciative.

The graphics cards may be a problem for visualization, but often you won't
know until you try.  Some collected statistics
http://www.ros.org/wiki/simulator_gazebo/SystemRequirements

Let me know if I can help at all.  It would be great to be able to improve
support for SuSE.
Tully

-- ben

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Murilo Fernandes Martins <muhrix at gmail.com