[ros-users] ROS 3D Contest (Kinect/PrimeSense/RGB-D)

Patrick Bouffard bouffard at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 22 20:41:14 UTC 2010

Thanks for sponsoring the contest, it will be fun to see what people
come up with! I have a few questions on the rules:

"All entries must be open source using an OSI-approved license and be
hosted on a publicly accessible server." -- Does all the code used on
the entire robot have to be open sourced in this manner or can it be
just the subset that relates directly to the entry itself. E.g.
suppose my robot has some closed-source code for running one of its
sensors, but that sensor is not critical to the capabilities being
shown off in the demo.

Also, "For the "originality" score, credit will go to the first entry
(by date) to demonstrate a particular idea" -- I haven't clicked
"Submit an Entry" yet but I presume it creates a new wiki page.
Probably some of the parts of the entry would be input immediately,
while others might take a bit longer (esp depending on the answer to
the above question). Will the date of the creation of that page be the
date that is used, or the date when everything is finalized, or will
it just be a judgment call?

Are there any rules regarding entries by groups or institutions vs. individuals?

When will the results be decided and announced?

Finally, does entering the contest prevent using the entry in another
way down the road, e.g. a submission to a video session at a
conference?

Thanks,

Pat